Vox Sentences is your daily digest for what's happening in the world. Sign up for the Vox Sentences newsletter, delivered straight to your inbox Monday through Friday, or view the Vox Sentences archive for past editions.
Ty Cobb prepares to leave the White House; Israel’s parliament gives Netanyahu expanded war powers.
Ty Cobb and his “steel balls” exit the White House
- White House lawyer Ty Cobb is off President Trump’s legal team. [Vox / Jen Kirby and Emily Stewart]
- Cobb, known for his amazing handlebar mustache and his reputation for having loud conversations in airports and steakhouses, went public with his retirement announcement today. [NYT / Matt Apuzzo and Michael Schmidt]
- Trump has a lot of lawyers, but Cobb was the main White House lawyer working on the response to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation. [CNN / Jeff Zeleny, Kaitlan Collins, Eli Watkins, and Jim Acosta]
- Cobb’s likely replacement is an attorney named Emmet Flood. Flood is a fairly big deal and a respected entity: He represented Bill Clinton during Clinton’s impeachment proceedings and served as White House counsel for the Bush administration. [Vox / Zack Beauchamp]
- In other words, Mueller is facing off against someone who is more his speed. So get ready for the Mueller/Flood battle of the ages. [Norm Eisen via Twitter]
- Rudy Giuliani, who is now serving as Trump’s personal attorney, said Trump’s legal team wanted someone more aggressive and dogged than Cobb representing the president. [Washington Post / Robert Costa, Josh Dawsey, Rosalind S. Helderman, and Philip Rucker]
- So au revoir, Ty Cobb, the man who once told reporter Katelyn Polantz, “I have rocks in my head and steel balls.” [National Law Journal / Katelyn Polantz]
The Israeli parliament just expanded Netanyahu’s war powers
- Israel’s parliament just voted to give Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vastly expanded powers to declare war. [Jerusalem Post / Gil Hoffman]
- The Knesset, Israel’s legislative body, recently passed a law that gives the power to declare war to just two people in Israeli government: the prime minister and the defense minister. [NYT / Isabel Kershner]
- That has spurred an outcry from some in the government and parliament, who say it’s giving Netanyahu too much power during a precarious time for national security. Previously, prime ministers had to get the approval of the full cabinet before declaring war. [Haaretz]
- This is all happening during a tense time in Israeli politics; Netanyahu recently accused Iran of violating the terms of its nuclear deal by hiding nuclear weapons. The two countries are enemies, and there’s fear a shadow war could escalate. [Guardian / Oliver Holmes and Julian Borger]
- Vogue magazine has been around since the end of the 1800s and still has “fashion bible” status. But is it still relevant? [Racked / Eliza Brooke]
- If you love to “steal” those tiny shampoo and conditioner bottles from hotels, you might want to start stocking up. Many hotels are doing away with them. [WSJ / Scott McCartney]
- America’s rural food crisis could be about to get way worse. Thank the farm bill. [Atlantic / Vann R. Newkirk II]
- There was a lot of confusion on Twitter today on whether Kanye West was, in fact, going to appear on Alex Jones’s trash fire Infowars broadcast. The confusion was itself a trash fire. [Olivia Nuzzi via Twitter]
“Oh, you’re a reporter? Well, go back and report on how your toilet bowl works.” [Trump doctor Harold Bornstein to Associated Press / Jonathan Lemire]
Watch this: This anti-sex trafficking law could end internet freedom
The law impacts sites like Reddit, Craigslist, and Google — and that’s just the start. [YouTube / Danush Parvaneh]
Trump’s doctor Harold Bornstein misrepresented Trump’s health. That’s not unusual.
Trump got sued to keep DACA alive. Now Texas is suing him to kill it.
The insidious cultural history of Kanye West’s slavery comments
3 top finishers of the 2018 Boston Marathon won’t get prize money because they’re women
The 6 Senate seats Democrats could maybe, possibly win from Republicans
In this Storystream
- Vox Sentences: Thanks for the memories, Ty Cobb
- Vox Sentences: Collusion confusion